Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Hezbollah, Hamas, and Harper

I’ m at an Internet café in Edmonton checking my email. 168 unread messages. Not bad for vacation email

I’m reading about Stephen Harper’s super-duper pro-Israel stance against Hezbollah and Hamas with growing alarm. Harper’s suggestion that Israel’s response is “measured” is appalling.

Before I go any further, let me say that I’m not an anti-Israel leftie. I believe that Israel has a right to defend itself against terrorists. What they are doing in Lebanon is not mere defense against Muslim extremists, but an attack on anyone who happens to be underneath Israeli bombs. They can't keep dropping bombs willy-nilly and continue to expect western support. Israel is a super-power in the area and need to behave as such.

Someday, both sides will have to learn what peace looks like. For everyone’s sake.

No comments: