Friday, September 15, 2006

Who's to blame?

Who is to blame for the Montreal shootings?

That’s the question that many people are asking this week.

For me, the answer’s obvious: Kimveer Gill is to blame.

Not “goth culture” not media violence, and not “loose” gun laws. As someone suggested to me this week, do we turn our schools into barricades? Do we ban violent video games? Do we destroy all guns?

Would that have stopped Gill from shooting innocent people?

I doubt it.

But we do like to play the blame game. Am I a “goth”? No. Do I think the video game based on the Columbine shootings is morally reprehensible? Definitely. Do I think tougher gun laws keep guns away from those who are set on acquiring them? No, but neither do I think gun ownership is a basic human right.

I don’t think there should be a political face on this tragedy. When these sorts of events happen we need to pray for all involved: the victims and their families, the shooter’s families, and for those who struggle in the dark, fighting their demons of hate.

No comments: