Thursday, February 07, 2008

Lenten Fast? Maybe. Maybe not.

What are you giving up for Lent?

In submission to last night’s gospel reading, I’m keeping my Lenten fast a secret (or maybe I’m claiming gospel freedom and am not fasting at all this Lent).

Sometimes I think this whole giving something up for Lent thing is a little silly. Jesus sat in the desert for 40 days consuming nothing but air, and we're supposed to identify with his fast by, what, giving up chocolate for six weeks?

Is it just me or does that seem a little petty?

But then again, Jesus did all the fasting and dying that we're supposed to do. We can't be as perfect or righteous or faithful as he was. So ANY attempt by us frail, sinful beings to do so will seem small. I think that's the point of the gospel.

I'm still not telling anyone what I'm doing for my Lenten observance.

No comments: