Friday, March 14, 2008

Embracing Chaos

“We may not be interested in chaos but chaos is interested in us.”—Robert Cooper, The Breaking of Nations: Order and Chaos in the Twenty-first Century


Often I worry that we’ve been playing it too safe as churches. One thing that’s jazzing me up about my church aggressively thinking about buying a new building is that we’ll be doing something that scares us. Pushes us. Makes us think strategically and creatively.

Long time members have told me that Good Shepherd is due for a challenge. That we haven’t had one in a long while. We need something to step up to.

I think this new building is just what we need. I think God threw this down at our feet and said, “Okay. Now what are you going to do? You can either stay where you are and coast. OR you can re-think everything – and I mean EVERYTHING – you think you know about church, and make a God-sized imprint in your community.”

I think God is reversing Genesis. I think God is bring chaos out of order. Chaos creates. Chaos energizes. Chaos innovates.

This is no time for playing it safe. North American churches are declining. Yet people are hungry for God.

After the first century, I think this is the most exciting time to be the church. Let’s embrace the chaos and see what we can create together – with God.

No comments: