Monday, February 15, 2010

March Pastoral Letter

What are you giving up for Lent? Chocolate? Beer? Coffee? Junk food?

Or are you taking something on? Time at the Soup Kitchen? Reading the bible or other material to help you grow in faith? Spending more time with family? Re-prioritizing?

For my Lenten discipline, I’m kicking my Belly Be Gone™ program into high gear. I’m using the weight loss/strength gaining program to remind myself that good stewardship starts with the self. But it doesn’t end there. I’m re-gaining my health so I can be a better person, a better servant to those around me, a better dad, friend, and pastor. So I can have deeper connections with people. Healthy relationships begin with healthy bodies. I can’t properly love others if I’m treating my body like a rental car.

For me, this isn’t merely a “Lenten Discipline.” It’s a lifestyle change. Like all good spiritual disciplines this won’t stop once I reach my goal, but will help me grow into who God wants me to be.

And your Lenten discipline, I hope, will have the same effect; to challenge you in healthy ways, to bring you closer to God and others, to build on the good things that are happening in your life.

It is my prayer Lent will be a healthy challenge for you, pushing some limits, exercising your spiritual muscles, so that you can continue to grow as a faithful follower of Jesus.

In Jesus’ Name,


Pastor Kevin

No comments: