Thursday, June 22, 2006

Why does this bother me?

I’m trying to figure out why the controversies surrounding the election of the female Presiding Bishop in the Episcopal Church USA bothers me so much. After all, it’s happening in a church of which I am not a part. So why should I care?

Is it because I see it as misogyny in religious garments?

Perhaps. But I’ve seen this many times before.

Is it because some self-proclaimed-and-appointed defenders of orthodoxy feel they have carte blanche to behave as unlovingly as they want just as long as they believe the right things?

Yes, but what else is new?

Is it because I see some of the same dynamics in my own church?

I think I’m getting warmer.

Is it because I have two young girls at home and worry that their gifts, skills, and talents will be scorned because they are female, and that they’ll spend their lives fighting battles that make the heart of God break into a million little pieces?

Bingo!

Whoever said that the personal is the political was on to something.

No comments: