To my ears, that sounds like a direct quote from my New Testament prof from when I was in seminary. This is nothing new. But it needs to be acknowledged that folks see Christians this way.
Here’s what he learned about what those who “like Jesus but not the Church” say about the Church:
1. The church is an organized religion with a political agenda.
2. The church is judgmental and negative.
3. The church is dominated by males and oppresses females.
4. The church is homophobic.
5. The church arrogantly claims all other religions are wrong.
6. The church is full of fundamentalists who take the whole Bible literally.
Some reviewers say that he doesn’t necessarily agree with each of these assessments, but it’s important to know that these attitudes are out there.