Thursday, June 07, 2007

Heart Troubles

I went to the hospital visit a fellow from the church. He had some heart troubles but seemed fine. I saw him a few nights prior and he seemed fine and anxious to get home.

I rang the buzzer at the ICU and told the nurse I was the pastor here to see C. She paused. Then said solemnly, “Come in.”

When I arrived at the desk a nurse approached me.

“Did the wife call you?” she asked.

“No,” I replied.

“Well, we’re just wrapping him up now,” she said.

“Wrapping him up for what?”

The nurses looked at each other. “He doesn’t know,” the one said to the other.

“He passed away this afternoon,” she told me.

“HE WHAT?”

The nurses looked at their shoes.

“C DIED?”

“Oh, I thought you were here to see someone else. The fellow you’re looking for was sent to Calgary,” she replied, smiling.

“Better than the morgue,” I replied, kick starting my heart again.

No comments: