Thursday, June 25, 2009

Bp. Susan's Report


After Bishop Susan’s report I think I have a better sense of where she’s taking our church. She outlined the five pillars of National Church Council’s strategic plan:

Effective Partnerships
Focused Framework
Compassionate Justice
Diverse Faces
Spirited Discipleship.


While this looks good, and it sets a clear direction for our church, I wonder how this will filter “down” to the congregation. At LCGS, we’re busy coming up with our own strategic plan that looks somewhat different to this. And that’s okay.

However, one thing I worry about is that all these things are happening at the national and international levels, but the only way the grassroots seems to participate is by funding the programs and listening to the stories.

Don’t get me wrong. I’m delighted that Bp. Susan is so active as she is. This is no surprise. I’ve always known her as passionate advocate for ecumenical expressions of the gospel. She’s doing great work.

But I don’t know what this means for me and my congregation. And maybe it doesn’t need to touch my or Good Shepherd’s life. Maybe it’s enough to know that she’s doing all this on our behalf. And in doing so, opens all our eyes to God’s work in the wider realm.

No comments: