Wednesday, March 02, 2005

Mel Gibson buys an island, just like Jesus would do.

Check this out.

Maybe it's just me, but given the near sainthood status evangelical churches have given this guy, buying an island seems a little on the "conspicious consumption" side for someone who confesses to be a follower of the poor man from Nazareth. I guess if you say the right words, make the right movie, and are conservative on the political spectrum you can ignore those pesky little bible verses where Jesus warns his disciples about the perils of wealth.

Not that I'm any different. I'm not poor. In the grand scheme of world affairs I live with an embarassment of riches. I own my house. I have a job I love. My kids lack for nothing.

To me, Mel's recent purchase and the silence from the church reveals our complicity in the consumerist culture of the western world.

Troubling.

2 comments:

Ono said...

I suspect he's buying it as a retreat place for conservative Christians. Or he might be planning a Jim Jones style retreat from the world.

Milton Stanley said...

It is troubling. What's even more troubling is that the the people in, say, Honduras, my American middle class consumption is even more conspicuous than Mel's is to me.